4 September 2017

Fresh Page, New Adventures, Hello Vancouver

 Every new chapter needs just a small prologue to start. Two and a half years it’s been, but every moment of my Europe travels is still beautifully engraved in my mind. There has been nothing more rewarding than revisiting such not only a world so different to the one I experience in New Zealand, but to have special memories and thoughts written down which are purely mine to reminisce. Like every dream, you eventually fall back to Earth from floating on the clouds, but I’m more than prepared for this next one. So give me your best Canada, and I promise you I’ll give all of mine.














I can’t deny that flutter of a heartbeat walking toward my plane with my Dad beside me, ready to take my first steps into MapleLand. Five months is nothing but a short burst, but the longest time I would be away from home. No tears just like last time, but the absence of intense fear that struck me on my way to France was refreshing. Only a slow burning hum of anticipation. One that still steeped inside after a long bleary flight to the bright and beautiful Vancouver.

I have heard nothing short of praises of this glowing city, and can definitely approve of a lot of those compliments having spent close to a week to explore the combination of its natural beauty and developed architecture. We wasted absolutely no time to see as much as we could while we had a car and headed out the very next day out to walk over the astounding Capilano Suspension Bridge. The geeky civil engineer in me was just amazed at how capable this hanging structure was, only because the number of people swinging and swaying on it could give anybody a small heart attack. The tree top and cliff side walks were equally impressive, the metal rods and ropes creating a stark juxtaposition with the greenery around us.Maybe it was the thought of home, but having that taste still wasn’t enough to satisfy our cravings for more of Vancouver’s natural offerings. Crossing over Lion’s Gate Bridge, the sun started beaming on us as we set out to do one of my most favourite activities – biking along the waterfront. That feeling of wind through my hair was absolutely liberating, not to mention that gorgeous sight of still water working its magical forces to keep those yachts in place against a brilliant background of blues and greens. Those moments as the gentle summer heat radiated over everything, I started to understand why Vancouver has such a firm grasp on being the most livable city in the world. With it’s stunning trifecta of lush trees, calm seaside and clear skies, perhaps finally New Zealand will have some competition, and a serious one at that. And afterwards, the visit Granville Island and its local market gave me warm memories of my European market trips, replacing those steamy coffee cups with iced drinks that had wet droplets trickling down the sides. The myriad of shapes and colours, the gentle buzz of murmuring, the scents that change with every direction you turn; They never fail to put a smile on my face.

The weather was an absolute gift to us every single day we were there: The sun shone with every ounce of its might without fail against the flawless blue. Our morning walk in the Queen Elizabeth Park Gardens had that perfect lighting to see blooming flowers of all kinds around us. But while it was expected of the gardens to have that relaxed ease, our visit of the University of British Columbia had that same pleasant atmosphere to our surprise. Being my top option for exchange, and trying not to be give the impression of being a bit touchy with this, I had to see what it was all about. If anything, give myself some basis for comparison of these renowned Canadian universities. I can say that it most definitely did not disappoint. Driving down the student residence area with the little houses felt like a movie, and the absolute pristine road lined with trees and their swaying light green leaves was just such a different university sight to what I’ve been used to. But all admiration aside, even with the grand Museum of Anthropology looking like a work of art sitting right on the edge of campus, I’m holding out for an even better one waiting for me on the other side of the country.

Wasting that sunshine was not an option, and so the oldest neighbourhood in Gastown had to be visited. If I’m being brutally honesty, the initial premise and, in my own snobbish opinion, the unflattering name doesn’t present the greatest intrigue for what turned out to be a very quaint but quirky side of Vancouver. This small little area really does have a such a charming vibe. Tiny shops were selling all sorts of antiques and artsy items. Modest cafes were sprinkled through the streets. The less than attractive name somehow seemed more fitting however as we approached the old steam clock, which to my delight was another blend of manmade structure with the sweet flowers hanging from the posts giving a pretty contrast. As unbelievable as it sounds considering everything I had seen till this point, won my heart instantly. The beauty of this elegant steampunk type clock comes from the glass that shows all the intricate mechanisms inside, and that sweet whistling with a gentle puff of steam as every quarter hour was magical, both day and night. Of course I ended up going back for a night time stroll later on, only to fall in love with it even more with its moonlit glow under the twinkling lights. Everything at night was a little bit different, from the trees wrapped in dainty fairy lights to the glowing neon colours that burst from the stadium. It really was a magical kind of experience.

The days had an ever present nonchalant vibe no matter where I was or what I was seeing. One of the most interesting aspects of the downtown district itself was that in during the peak of day, never did it seem clustered by the bustling movements in the heart of the city. Whether it’s the larger shopping avenues like Robson Street or the smaller roads shaded by the towering trees, that claustrophobic, almost stifling feeling was simply absent. It’s a rare feeling to walk through and reach Canada Place to feel like you’re on a vacation stroll through what are meant to be the busiest streets of Vancouver. The wharf stretched out so that we could admire the park from afar, and our casual meandering eventually led us to appreciate the technological advances hidden within Vancouver. The Flyover was eye-opening to say the least as the experience took us through the wonders of Canada, using stimulated visuals and smells and other effects to recreate flying over the country. And gosh was it really something else. But it was the Science Centre that took me back to a younger age where I felt like a carefree child again, unable to contain the giddiness and excitement of seeing all these fascinating things around the exhibition. My Dad and I could finally put away those lingering stresses everyone always carries with them and laugh at each other with how utterly idiotic we looked completing the challenges. Our fierce competitiveness and maturity of toddlers when it comes to showing each other up only sent us in giggling fits and brought back the nostalgia. It was blissful in a way as we appreciated this bonding time, setting aside our differences like turning back the clock to more simple times.

And perhaps that is the best way to describe Vancouver to me. A bright, peaceful, smile inducing place. Somehow rich in remnants of home with every glance. Simple, in the most endearing way.